Monday, September 2, 2013

Best of the Bunch - August 2013


Best of the Bunch is a book blog hop hosted over at Always Lost in Stories on the last day of each month, where we can look back over the books we have read over this past month and give a Best of the Bunch award to our favorite book of that month.

This is my first time participating in this hop.  I just couldn't resist - it seems like such a great idea!!

August 2013

This month I reviewed the following books:

Haven Storm (Elemental, #1) Fireseed One Ruby's Fire 
  • Haven by Celia Breslin | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
  • Storm by Brigid Kemmerer | Review | Rating 5/5
  • Fireseed One by Catherine Stein | Review | Rating 3.5/5
  • Ruby's Fire by Catherine Stein | Review | Rating 4/5
Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)  Spark (Elemental, #2) 
  • Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins | Review | Rating 3.5/5
  • Welcome to the Darkness by L.M. Justus | Review | Rating 4/5
  • Spark by Brigid Kemmerer | Review | Rating 4/5
  • The Witches of Dark Root by April Aasheim | Review | Rating 4/5
Before Midnight Inside Out (Insider, #1) The Forgotten Ones (The Danaan Trilogy, #1) The Returned
  • Before Midnight by Jennifer Blackstream | Review | Rating 4.5/5
  • Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder | Review | Rating 4/5
  • The Forgotten Ones by Laura Howard | Review | Rating: 3/5
  • The Returned by Jason Mott | Review | Rating 3.5/5
The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)
  • The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle | Review | Rating 4.5/5
And my August 2013 Best of the Bunch winner is . . .

Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

Storm (Elemental, #1)I absolutely LOVED this book and stayed up way too late reading it.  Once I finished it, I immediately jumped into reading the novellas that went along with it and then book #2 in the series (which I also loved, but not quite as much as the first book).  I am definitely looking forward to reading book #3 of this series as well - I just haven't gotten my hands on it yet!

Click here to read my full review.  (You will also find mini-reviews of the novellas at this link.)

Summary: Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming.

  

So, what was your best August read?

9 comments:

  1. Oh, cool hop! This is the first time I've heard of it--may have to join in myself next month! Awesome pick btw! I LOVE Brigid Kemmerer's books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, CommentLuv mysteriously disappeared from one of my posts (along with all of the comments that were here). If you commented on this post, please know that I read your comment (and even replied) - don't know where they disappeared to! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea for a hop. I really love the Elemental Series too. Such a fun series full of hot guys. ;)

    My favorite read was without a doubt Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Mass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check Crown of Midnight out! I haven't read that one.

      Delete
  4. I see you read Inside Out. I'm just starting to read Poison Study. It's the first Maria V. Snyder book that I've read, so I'm pretty interested to see what her writing is like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard AMAZING things about Poison Study. Lots of people have said it's one of their favorite all-time books. I plan to try to read it this month.

      Delete
  5. I really want to get my hands on before midnight you have some amazing reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely pick up Before Midnight. I loved it! Thanks - I'm so glad you enjoy my reviews!

      Delete